Critical Illness Cover
Providing a cash payment if diagnosed with one of the specified critical illnesses listed in the policy.
Protecting your family
It’s easy to think “it won’t happen to me” and most of us have done it, but we probably all know someone affected by a critical or life-threatening illness. According to Cancer Research UK, 357,000 people in the UK were diagnosed with cancer in 2014 - that’s 980 cases every day.
Should you suffer from a critical illness the priority is, rightly, treatment and recovery. But the sad fact remains that, by its unplanned nature, dealing with a critical illness brings its own costs and consequences.
Critical Illness Insurance provides a tax-free, cash payment if the policyholder is diagnosed with one of the critical illnesses listed in the policy. These will vary by policy but typically include 50 illnesses, with cancer, heart attack, stroke and MS the top four illnesses claimed-for.
Making life easier
The money paid out can be used to make life easier, allowing the policyholder to focus on getting better sooner. It could be put towards medical treatment, mortgage, rent, household bills or perhaps adjustments to a home or car.
Cover can be purchased as a stand-alone policy or added to other protection policies (such as Income Protection or Life Insurance) to enhance the benefits. Children are usually covered under the plans free of charge.
Our expert advisers will help you choose the most suitable policy
We will discuss with you the factors you need to consider:
- Costs that need to be covered, such as household bills, living expenses, mortgage payments, education fees, debts and loans
- What factors might affect your premiums, such as your age, smoker status and type of premiums you chose
- How long before your dependants (if any) start to earn their own income
- Do you want cover until retirement or beyond (up of a maximum of age 75)?
- How long other loans or debts have got left to run
- How long your mortgage has got left to run
- Whether to include Life Insurance or other personal protection products